Each New Year, people across the world take part in the tradition of creating resolutions – taking a look at the year past, and making promises and goals of self-improvement for the year ahead. This year, Charter our Community asks you to consider adding a resolution to your 2016 list that will help protect you and your loved ones for years to come: ensuring your home is safe and healthy.
Use the 2016 checklist below to help you stick to your goal and track your progress throughout the year:
- Seal and caulk small crevices around your home to help keep out pests and reduce your energy bill.
- Seal the ductwork in your home to help keep energy costs down.
- Add door sweeps to exterior doors to increase energy efficiency and help keep moisture like snow and rainwater out of your home.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with more energy-efficient, compact fluorescent or LED bulbs that emit more light and less heat.
- Add fiberglass insulation to your attic and add weatherstripping to the door or hatch to prevent heat loss through your attic in the winter.
- Install smoke detectors inside each bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home, including your basement if you have one.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors to help protect you and your family.
- Replace old or worn out outlet covers and replace any frayed or damaged electrical wires in and around your home to help prevent home fires.
- Keep a first aid kit in an easily accessible place and up-to-date class ABC fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
- If you have older residents in your home – or family members with mobility disabilities – install grab bars in your bathroom to help prevent dangerous falls in the home.
Exterior Home Repairs
- Replace old and worn out roof shingles with new ones to prevent leaks.
- Apply a new coat of exterior paint to your home, paying particular attention to trim around windows and doors, especially if the existing paint is blistered or peeling.
- Clean and remove any obstructions from gutters and downspouts to prevent possible sources of water damage.
- Ensure your home is prepared for severe weather. Check CharterOurCommunity.com for tips, resources and an emergency plan development tool through our partnership with The Weather Channel and its Connect With Weather program.
- Develop a fire safety plan with your family.